Thursday, February 2, 2012

psalm 119:6

6 - Then shall I not be ashamed, 
when I have respect 
unto all thy commandments.

Verse 6 is a continuation of verse 5.

Verse 5 instructed us to let the Word direct our prayers so that we may keep the statutes of God.

Verse 6 says that when we do that, we shall not be ashamed.

Sin shames us. It embarrasses us. Every time. Without fail.

When we try to do life on our own terms, we invariably end up with regrets, with "what could have beens," with apologies, makeovers, failures...

We pray prayers and ask amiss. We roll the dice and hope for the best. We gather all the facts before we make our decision and then wonder why the outcome was not what we bargained for.

Until we can pray the prayers directed by His Word, we will continue to be ashamed. Until we allow Him to spring to life inside our prayers and our thoughts and our plans, we will continue to be embarrassed.

I love how Spurgeon addressed this. He said, "There is nothing to be ashamed of in a holy life; a man may be ashamed of his pride, ashamed of his wealth, ashamed of his own children, but he will never be ashamed of having in all things regarded the will of the Lord his God."

© 2012 by Melani Brady Shock

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sister Shock! I listened to your message from BOTT this morning.....I loved it! I will listen to it again and again. Most of what you said has been on my heart recently so it was wonderful to hear you speak. I am determined to 'digest' His Word more and more this year. Did you know 2012 in Australia is the National Year Of Reading???? I am so looking forward to your visit this year.

    ReplyDelete