Friday, February 17, 2012

psalm 119:15a

15 - I will meditate 
in thy precepts, 
and have respect
unto thy ways.

"...I will meditate in thy precepts..."

I will PONDER and PRAY what I read. The word "meditate" in the original actually carries more of a context of praying to oneself. Some words used to describe it are "to muse, to ponder, to commune..."

No prayer is more powerful than praying the ancient, living words of Scripture. To ponder their meaning, then pray them as your prayer is to connect the Spirit within you to the Logos of the Creator. This is the power which formed worlds...light...water...animals...mountains...flowers...YOU...

YOU have creative power when you join your Spirit to the ancient Words in prayer.

It is said that George Muller, a 19th century pastor who prayed for absolutely everything in his life, would not pray a prayer unless he could put his finger on a Scripture which he felt supported that prayer. Over the course of his 92 years of life, he journaled answers to over 50,000 prayers!

YOU have that same powerI I have that same power!

Then why do we not avail ourselves of it?

I would like to suggest that it may be because we get the cart ahead of the horse.

We want to go straight to the prayer part. The asking part. The "gimme" part. And we do so before we have digested the Book. We ask before we know what to ask. We ask before we know how to ask. We ask amiss, because we have not eaten and absorbed and metabolized His words first...all we know are OUR words.

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer."
~Psalm 19:14


© 2012 by Melani Brady Shock

2 comments:

  1. Melani, this old song came to my mind ths morning as I began reading & studying the Word. It is my prayer...

    1. Open my eyes, that I may see glimpses of truth thou hast for me; place in my hands the wonderful key that shall unclasp and set me free. Silently now I wait for thee, ready, my God, thy will to see. Open my eyes, illumine me, Spirit divine!

    2. Open my ears, that I may hear voices of truth thou sendest clear; and while the wavenotes fall on my ear, everything false will disappear. Silently now I wait for thee, ready, my God, thy will to see. Open my ears, illumine me, Spirit divine!

    3. Open my mouth, and let me bear gladly the warm truth everywhere; open my heart and let me prepare love with thy children thus to share.
    Silently now I wait for thee, ready, my God, thy will to see. Open my heart, illumine me, Spirit divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful words! I know a lot of the old ones, but this one is new to me...I will be searching it out. Thanks for sharing, Linda! Love ya!

    mbs

    ReplyDelete