Wednesday, June 13, 2012

psalm 119:52

52 - I remembered thy judgments of old, 
O Lord; 
and have comforted myself.

Memorials.  The circumstances of the present pointing to the power of the past.

The heavy, gray clouds block the sun on my street and my heart remembers the sunshine of days past when the miraculous power of God kept our family safe through the storm.

The face of my love that is worn by the duties of day after day, week after week is not the real face--the face behind the face.  The real face has no lines nor dark shadows--it is clear and firm, full of confidence in what God has done, is doing, and will do.

The financial report presents a dismal message and I remember the day of only a few dollars with which to buy gas and food for the month...and the unexpected piece of joy in the mailbox that carried us for three more weeks.

The electric bill brings worry and I remember my husband's story of his teenage faith that lay the bill on the bed and gave it to God and the money that unexpectedly came to pay it the very next day.

Pain slows the step and disillusion clouds the mind and I remember the oil on the shelf and the miraculous scenes of healing and power that have manifested in this very room.

Hopelessness crowds the heart and I remember the promises of the Logos--they sound in my ears and in my heart as the heaviness falls away.

And I am comforted.

"When we see no present display of the divine power, 
it is wise to fall back upon the records of former ages." 
~ Charles Spurgeon

© 2012 by Melani Brady Shock

No comments:

Post a Comment