Wednesday, June 6, 2012

psalm 119:47

47 - And I will delight myself
in they commandments, 
which I have loved."

After speaking of the law before kings (v. 46), David retreated to a place alone, where he delighted in the law by himself (v. 47).

"David did not delight in the courts of kings...
but in the Scriptures he found himself at home."
~ Charles Spurgeon

The word "delight" in this verse carries with it a two-fold action--that of delight and blindness.  The meaning is that of carefree, joyous abandon which blinds us to dangers and evil around us.  Other places this Hebrew word is used is:

Isaiah 11:8--And the sucking child shall play on the hole of the asp...

Isaiah 29:9--Stay yourselves, and wonder; cry ye out and cry:...

Isaiah 66:12--...ye shall be borne upon [her] sides, and be dandled upon [her] knees...

It is His desire that we so immerse ourselves in His written Voice that we would be filled with joy and wonder and be totally oblivious to the evil and darkness surrounding us.

All my delight is in You, Lord
All of my hope, and all of my strength
All my delight is in You, Lord
Forevermore...
~ Hillsong

© 2012 by Melani Brady Shock

No comments:

Post a Comment