Thursday, March 8, 2012

psalm 119:24

24 - Thy testimonies also 
are my delight, 
and my counselors.

A broader meaning of the following words in the original Hebrew:

  • testimonies - precepts
  • delight - pleasure
  • counselors - plans received
So, the Eat This Book translation loosely reads: "I am delighted by and take pleasure in the plans I receive from your Word!"

Oh that I would have learned this many years ago! How much heartache, toil, and stress I would have saved myself!

We would be able to do life and ministry MUCH more peacefully if we found pleasure in HIS counsel rather than plotting our next move.

Control freaks who always "have a plan" or "know the next move" do not take pleasure in His precepts. We get it backward. We plan and take our plan to Him for His approval. Instead, He wants us to come to Him for the plan, then execute it.

He counsels.

We follow.

In His time.

"If we desire to find comfort in the Scriptures we must submit ourselves to their counsel,
and when we follow their counsel it must not be with reluctance but with delight."
Charles Spurgeon


© 2012 by Melani Brady Shock

No comments:

Post a Comment