Wednesday, March 7, 2012

psalm 119:23

23 - Princes also did sit 
and speak against me: 
but thy servant did 
meditate in thy statutes.

Again, as in verse 22, the Psalmist is wrestling with contempt and disdain. There are probably none among us who cannot relate to his lament.

How many of us have entered into our closets with God and retreated under His covering to whisper brokenly, "They are against me, God. They are talking about me. They are against YOU, O God, and I am having to suffer for it. They treat me as if I am dirt under their feet and I have done nothing to them, God, it's YOU they are reviling. Help me! Where are you? Why are you so far away? I need you!"

How to forgive those who mistreat you is one of the most written about areas of emotional health. Unforgiveness lies at the root of so many issues in life: violence, broken health, poverty, anger...

Books about how to forgive are prolific. A large portion of private counseling centers around how to forgive something or somebody. The inability to forgive is a foundational component of mental illness.

Oh, if we could but take the Bible at its word! If we could take our hurt and betrayal and desire for revenge and retaliation and place it within the pages of the Logos! If we could but BELIEVE!

How do I forgive? The simple answer lies in verse 23: ". . .meditate in thy statutes."

The Word offers us shelter from long tongues. Meditation within the Logos removes the sting of slander. Words that live wrap us in safety.

Need affirmation? Eat the Book.

Need safety? Eat the Book.

Need defense? Eat the Book.

Need significance and respect? Eat the Book!

Need to forgive? Eat the Book!

No comments:

Post a Comment