Friday, March 2, 2012

psalm 119:21

21 - Thou has rebuked the proud 
that are cursed, 
which do err 
from thy commandments.

Pride is the foundational cause of straying from the Word of God. The original sin of Lucifer was that of wanting to usurp authority.  "I will ascend..." he said.

Pride LOATHES Divine order!

Divine order is not a popular concept in 2012. The democratic atmosphere of the western world has infiltrated the church just as it has the marketplace. Out-of-control egos are permeating the church just as they are the office. Twitter and Facebook has given every voice a pulpit and platform from which to shout their opinions to an undiscerning audience and hollow, empty, life gurus are emerging a dime a dozen. Every new follower validates their inflated opinion of themselves and every compliment is banked as evidence of leadership.

If you don't believe me, just read how many people retweet compliments about themselves on Twitter!

Me...self...my...rights...I...victim...mine...excuse me?...I don't think so!...I deserve...who are you?...contract vs. covenant...I don't have to take this!...I refuse...no...silence...nobody will tell ME what to do...my reality is different...look at me...follow me on Twitter!...listen to ME!...

All words which point to an erring path where God Himself rebukes the traveler.

O God, let me be repentant before you at all times. Expose my motives and my heart as I enter your Word. Let me be submitted to authority in my heart, not just in my head so I may exercise authority in the places to which I have been called. Hear my cry for mercy so that I will not suffer your rebuke. Let me never forget that I am but dirt--one breath away from the grave--and You control it all.

"Pride lies at the root of all sin: if men were not arrogant, they would not be disobedient." 
~Charles Spurgeon

"God rebukes pride, even when the multitudes pay homage to it."
~Charles Spurgeon

"'The Lord rebuke thee' is answer enough to all the accusations of men or devils."
~Charles Spurgeon

© 2012 by Melani Brady Shock

No comments:

Post a Comment