Saturday, January 28, 2012

psalm 119:4

4 - "Thou has commanded us to 
keep thy precepts diligently."

Diligently is translated from a Hebrew word meaning "force, a very great degree."

It sort of takes the concept of "we don't have to do anything to live this Christian life and get to heaven except love the Lord" and throws it right out the window, doesn't it!

Force. A very great degree.

God, you have commanded me to keep your precepts--your law, your Word, your commandments--to a very great degree. I must use force in keeping them. There are no short cuts, no loopholes, no exception clauses. 

It's pretty cut and dried. If you said it, then the ball is in my court and I must do it.

I like how Martin Luther said it: "You may as well quit reading and hearing the Word of God, and give it to the devil, if you do not desire to live according to it." 

Well, there you go.

© 2012 by Melani Brady Shock

No comments:

Post a Comment