Wednesday, January 4, 2012

psalm 119-the journey

I remember as a little girl when we would have contests in Sunday School and part of it would be to get points for chapters we read in the Bible that week. As a girl still learning to read, I didn't exactly spend time every day reading the Bible. However, I was very competitive and would get up and hurry on Sunday mornings so I would have time to read as many chapters as I could before we got to church.

I ALWAYS read Psalm 117. That's a no-brainer. That's the shortest chapter in the Bible. As a matter of fact, I think every kid in class always listed Psalm 117 as a chapter they had read that week. By the time I was 10 years old, I was quoting it as I looked for another chapter and could count TWO chapters.

In all of my years of Sunday School competition, I don't think I ever remember anybody saying they read Psalm 119. We would take one look at it and shudder and hurry to something shorter.

It wasn't until I was grown and digging deeper for the treasures of the Word that I understood Psalm 119 and began to fall in love with its grandeur.

There is not enough blog space available to expound upon its beauty, its depth, its vastness, its richness.  And so once again, at this new beginning of 2012, I find myself returning to this incredible passage of the Bible. I am taking it one verse per day and mining it for everything I can.

You are welcome to join this journey. And, if you do, I would request that you feel free to share any insight or nuggets regarding the passages as we walk through them.

What a privilege it is to study the Voice of God bound in a Book.

© 2012 by Melani Brady Shock

No comments:

Post a Comment